From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Quick and dirty install of google chrome binary package
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 17:18:42
1 On Feb 8, 2012 12:03 AM, "walt" <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, 2012-02-06 at 21:59 -0500, Jeff Horelick wrote:
4 > > On 6 February 2012 21:42, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > > > I tried and liked google chrome for a few months until I got tired
7 > > > of the multi-hour compile every week or so. The chrome-binary ebuild
8 > > > was removed a while ago, I'm guessing because of library version
9 > > > conflicts, but I dunno for sure.
12 > > you seem to have missed a very simple way to do all this:
13 > >
14 > > emerge google-chrome
15 >
16 > Very interesting, thanks for pointing that out. What I missed is that
17 > in recent months the former (home-compiled) chrome package was removed
18 > and the chrome-binary package was renamed to google-chrome (I suppose
19 > the google brand was supposed to clue me in that I'm installing the
20 > google build rather than the gentoo build).
21 >
22 > However, the newer google-chrome package forces the downgrade of libpng
23 > to libpng12 for the entire machine, which I don't want, so I'll continue
24 > to use my simple home-brew method.
25 >
26 > Now that Pandu has mentioned it, I can edit the google-chrome ebuild to
27 > do what I want :) The part where I install the obsolete libpng12 in
28 > the /opt/google/chrome directory instead of /usr/lib is the part I'm
29 > not sure about.
32 I think you can peek into libpng12's ebuild, and transfer the relevant
33 parts (e.g. those retrieving the source and doing the compile), and adapt
34 the installation parts.
35
36 Don't forget to put your custom ebuild in your local overlay, lest emerge
37 --sync will happily 'revert' your ebuild to what it was :-)
38
39 Rgds,