From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Windows 'Remote Assistance'
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 15:58:14
1 On 22 November 2010 14:36, BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > ----- Original Message ----
3 >
4 >> From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
5 >> To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 >> Sent: Sun, November 21, 2010 1:26:30 PM
7 >> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Windows 'Remote Assistance'
8 >>
9 >> On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>  wrote:
10 >> > I know this is somewhat off-topic but I am losing friends here by  telling
11 >>them
12 >> > all the time that they should install Linux or at least  install and
13 >>configure
14 >> > VNC if they need my help ...  plus some of them I  don't mind helping
15 > anyway.
16 >> >
17 >> > Lesser MSWindows versions do not seem  to allow connections via RDP and
18 >> > therefore rdesktop and krdc will not  connect to them without some VNC
19 > server
20 >> > running on the Windows  machine.
21 >> >
22 >> > Meanwhile Windows has this 'Remote Assistance'  function, which allows what
23 >>it
24 >> > says and uses PRNP (Peer Name Resolution  Protocol).
25 >
26 > AFAIK, PRNP is just a way to make the RDP sessions hook-up - it's usually
27 > integrated with
28 > Windows Messenger IM client. If they have "Remote Assistance" available, then
29 > they also have the
30 > ability to enable RDP - it's in the same location to enable, though I think only
31 > "Remove Assistance" is enabled by default.
32
33 Only the Professional/Ultimate/Enterprise have the RDP functionality.
34 The bottom half of the configuration popup with the options for RDP is
35 missing from Starter/Home Basic/Home Premium versions.
36
37 > Just have them go (via Classic Control Panel):
38 >
39 > Start->Settings->Control Panel->System.
40 >
41 > Then click on the "Remote" tab, which presents options for "Remote Assistance"
42 > and "Remote Desktop".
43
44 As I said, lesser Windows versions only have Remote Assistance. They
45 do not come with a 'terminal services' server:
46
47 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Remote-Desktop-Connection-frequently-asked-questions
48
49 > I don't think RDP is available on Win2k without licenses - it's just Terminal
50 > Services. However, it is available
51 > on WinXP and later; however, without the Terminal Services licenses you cannot
52 > be logged in at the same time.
55 Regards,
56 Mick