From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Windows 'Remote Assistance'
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 14:38:16
1 ----- Original Message ----
2
3 > From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Sent: Sun, November 21, 2010 1:26:30 PM
6 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Windows 'Remote Assistance'
7 >
8 > On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
9 > > I know this is somewhat off-topic but I am losing friends here by telling
10 >them
11 > > all the time that they should install Linux or at least install and
12 >configure
13 > > VNC if they need my help ... plus some of them I don't mind helping
14 anyway.
15 > >
16 > > Lesser MSWindows versions do not seem to allow connections via RDP and
17 > > therefore rdesktop and krdc will not connect to them without some VNC
18 server
19 > > running on the Windows machine.
20 > >
21 > > Meanwhile Windows has this 'Remote Assistance' function, which allows what
22 >it
23 > > says and uses PRNP (Peer Name Resolution Protocol).
24
25 AFAIK, PRNP is just a way to make the RDP sessions hook-up - it's usually
26 integrated with
27 Windows Messenger IM client. If they have "Remote Assistance" available, then
28 they also have the
29 ability to enable RDP - it's in the same location to enable, though I think only
30 "Remove Assistance" is enabled by default.
31
32 Just have them go (via Classic Control Panel):
33
34 Start->Settings->Control Panel->System.
35
36 Then click on the "Remote" tab, which presents options for "Remote Assistance"
37 and "Remote Desktop".
38
39 I don't think RDP is available on Win2k without licenses - it's just Terminal
40 Services. However, it is available
41 on WinXP and later; however, without the Terminal Services licenses you cannot
42 be logged in at the same time.
45 $0.02
46
47 Ben