From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Windows 'Remote Assistance'
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 18:27:13
1 On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I know this is somewhat off-topic but I am losing friends here by telling them
3 > all the time that they should install Linux or at least install and configure
4 > VNC if they need my help ...  plus some of them I don't mind helping anyway.
5 >
6 > Lesser MSWindows versions do not seem to allow connections via RDP and
7 > therefore rdesktop and krdc will not connect to them without some VNC server
8 > running on the Windows machine.
9 >
10 > Meanwhile Windows has this 'Remote Assistance' function, which allows what it
11 > says and uses PRNP (Peer Name Resolution Protocol).
12 >
13 > I've been trying to find a Linux tool to connect to a Windows box which has
14 > issued a PRNP invitation, but can't find a means of doing this.  Is this all
15 > completely proprietary or is there some UPnP linux solution that works?
16 > --
17 > Regards,
18 > Mick
21 Yeah, I'd like to find a simple solution for this also. Currently I
22 use VNC for Linux remote support. For Windows remote I run VMWare/Win
23 XP and run Go2Meeting. It would be great to do that all from my KDE
24 desktop without depending on XP. Go2Meeting is a paid subscription
25 which I use for trading so it's not a good solution for others.
26
27 - Mark