From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: High resolution on a 13 inch screen
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2017 20:58:49
1 >>>> Is there a way to digitally discover the true height and width of your
2 >>>> screen in mm?
3 >>>
4 >>>
5 >>> Yes. xdpyinfo shows the information:
6 >>>
7 >>> xdpyinfo | grep -B2 resolution
8 >>>
9 >>> If the information is wrong, that usually means one of two things
10 >>> (sometimes
11 >>> even both): a) the video driver is reporting the wrong size to Xorg,
12 >>> and/or
13 >>> b) the screen is reporting the wrong size to the driver.
16 >> I'm getting strange results from xdpyinfo. I always get 96x96 DPI and
17 >> the screen size changes along with the resolution. When I run 'xrandr
18 >> --dpi 200x200' and check xdpyinfo, it reports correctly. But if I log
19 >> out and back in to xfce4 without doing anything else, it gives me
20 >> 96x96 again.
23 > XFCE is probably forcing 96DPI by default. This is usually done by desktop
24 > environments that don't support DPI scaling very well. I just found this
25 > (sort of flame-war-ish) thread:
26 >
27 > https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=7734
28 >
29 > and indeed XFCE doesn't seem to have very good support for this. Maybe you
30 > can find some of the settings listed there useful though.
31 >
32 > Other than that, if you want working DPI scaling, you'll have much better
33 > luck with KDE 5 / Plasma.
36 Won't I freak out if I'm an xfce4 guy and I try to switch to KDE? Is
37 there a better choice for HiDPI migration for people who like xfce4?
38
39 - Grant