From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo location for squirrelmail attachments
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 16:17:06
1 On Friday, December 09, 2011 07:49:13 AM Grant wrote:
2 > >> I ran squirrelmail/configtest.php and realized I don't have an
3 > >> attachment directory set up for Squirrelmail:
4 > >>
5 > >> ERROR: Attachment dir (/var/local/squirrelmail/attach/) does not
6 > >> exist!
7 > >>
8 > >> I don't even have a /var/local/. Would a good Gentoo'er create the
9 > >> directory in that location?
10 > >
11 > > If a website needs to write files, let it do so under its own directory
12 > > hierarchy. All of our PHP sites have something equivalent to the
13 > > following in their apache vhost configs:
14 > >
15 > > php_admin_value open_basedir /var/www/example.com/www/
16 > > php_admin_value upload_tmp_dir /var/www/example.com/www/tmp
17 > > php_admin_value session.save_path /var/www/example.com/www/tmp
18 > >
19 > > That way, if www.example.com is compromised, the rest of the machine is
20 > > still safe (barring PHP bugs).
21 >
22 > There is a Squirrelmail document recommending that the Squirrelmail
23 > data and attachments directories are established outside of the web
24 > server's reach. /var is given as an example. They also recommend
25 > root:apache 0730 for both directories.
26 >
27 > This is a little disturbing because my Squirrelmail data directory was
28 > created under the webroot as apache:apache 0755 at some point. Would
29 > this have been done by Gentoo? Should I file a bug?
30 >
31 > "Prepare data and attachment directories"
32 > http://squirrelmail.org/docs/admin/admin-3.html
33 >
34 > - Grant
35
36 I think the data-directory is included from upstream and is there to have it
37 work when installing it "blindly". Recommendations are not always possible
38 (think hosted environments)
41 Joost