From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo location for squirrelmail attachments
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 15:51:17
1 >> I ran squirrelmail/configtest.php and realized I don't have an
2 >> attachment directory set up for Squirrelmail:
3 >>
4 >> ERROR: Attachment dir (/var/local/squirrelmail/attach/) does not exist!
5 >>
6 >> I don't even have a /var/local/.  Would a good Gentoo'er create the
7 >> directory in that location?
10 > If a website needs to write files, let it do so under its own directory
11 > hierarchy. All of our PHP sites have something equivalent to the following
12 > in their apache vhost configs:
13 >
14 >  php_admin_value open_basedir /var/www/example.com/www/
15 >  php_admin_value upload_tmp_dir /var/www/example.com/www/tmp
16 >  php_admin_value session.save_path /var/www/example.com/www/tmp
17 >
18 > That way, if www.example.com is compromised, the rest of the machine is
19 > still safe (barring PHP bugs).
20
21 There is a Squirrelmail document recommending that the Squirrelmail
22 data and attachments directories are established outside of the web
23 server's reach. /var is given as an example. They also recommend
24 root:apache 0730 for both directories.
25
26 This is a little disturbing because my Squirrelmail data directory was
27 created under the webroot as apache:apache 0755 at some point. Would
28 this have been done by Gentoo? Should I file a bug?
29
30 "Prepare data and attachment directories"
31 http://squirrelmail.org/docs/admin/admin-3.html
32
33 - Grant