From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo location for squirrelmail attachments
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 16:11:15
1 On 12/09/2011 10:49 AM, Grant wrote:
2 >
3 > There is a Squirrelmail document recommending that the Squirrelmail
4 > data and attachments directories are established outside of the web
5 > server's reach. /var is given as an example.
6
7 The two aren't mutually exclusive; using the previous example, we have,
8
9 php_admin_value upload_tmp_dir /var/www/example.com/www/tmp
10 DocumentRoot /var/www/example.com/www/public
11
12 so Apache can't serve up the temporary files. But sticking them both
13 under /var/www/example.com/www does allow you to use tighter
14 open_basedir restrictions.
17 > This is a little disturbing because my Squirrelmail data directory was
18 > created under the webroot as apache:apache 0755 at some point. Would
19 > this have been done by Gentoo? Should I file a bug?
20
21 I'm not sure. There's probably a policy that says one of two things:
22
23 1. Ebuilds should by default set up everything as securely as
24 possible, or
25
26 2. Ebuilds should not mess with upstream
27
28 I've honestly never used Gentoo's webapp stuff; it confuses the hell out
29 of me.