From: Ernie Schroder <schroder@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kooka copy fails to print, etc.
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 00:08:04
1 On Sunday 29 January 2006 18:26, a tiny voice compelled Mick to write:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > I have been trying to use a CanoScan N650U scanner to copy a printed A4
5 > sheet of corporate headed paper with some black text (a typical letter,
6 > nothing too complicated in terms of image quality).
7 >
8 > I used xsane and kooka. Xsane prints it directly, but the image is
9 > misaligned on the page (the header logo is chopped in half). It's as if
10 > the page has been zoomed into. I have selected Full Size so I don't know
11 > why this happens. Can it be adjusted - how?
12 >
13 > Kooka on the other hand scales and centers the image nicely, no manual
14 > intervention is required. However, it does not print directly but always
15 > saves the scanned image as a file. If I select it and press print an error
16 > comes up saying that it won't print because the file is 0 bytes in
17 > size. :-@
18 >
19 > On top of all this, choosing to copy it in colour (there's a bit of colour
20 > in the company logo in the header) the page shows up in the viewer and
21 > later on prints rather dark and 'greyed out'. M$Windoze on the other hand
22 > using the Canon software prints the page much brighter with no blurring or
23 > greyed out background.
24 >
25 > I find the xsane rather complicated to set up, because I have no idea what
26 > the different settings actually do. I was hoping that the default settings
27 > would work at least as nice, if not nicer than the equivalent application
28 > in Windoze, but that is not the case.
29 >
30 > Would any kind soul be able to help with Gamma, etc. settings for xsane to
31 > work satisfactorily with this scanner.
32 > --
33 > Regards,
34 > Mick
35
36 There is a very active sane mailing list that should be able to offer some
37 help on your scanner.