From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 22:05:15
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 23:11:08 +0100, lee wrote:
4 >
5 >> >> But you already heard of udev rules? I guess I mentioned them
6 >> >> already. They are not so hard to write and they only need to be
7 >> >> written once.
8 >> >
9 >> > It's too late by then, if eth0 and eth1 already exist, you cannot
10 >> > switch them with udev rules - as anyone who had worked with dual NICs
11 >> > would have discovered.
12 >>
13 >> Can you switch them when they have unrecognisable names?
14 >
15 > You can't switch any two names because the udev rules are run singly, so
16 > at one point you will be trying to rename an interface with a name that
17 > is already in use.
18
19 I mean more like renaming them on the fly --- or by having a
20 configuration file with key:value pairs like 'enp69s0f1:eth3' --- or
21 perhaps triples like 'enp69s0f1:eth3:"DMZ Interface"'.
22
23 That way, you could have a recognisable name (or several names) for
24 every unrecognisable one and assume that "eth3" or "foo" or however you
25 want to call it is the same interface just as much as you would with
26 unrecognisable names --- plus the advantage that when you ever need to
27 change an interface, you only need to edit one small file rather than
28 various configurations files having the unrecognisable name(s) in them.
29 And you would also have descriptions.