From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 00:28:06
1 On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 23:11:08 +0100, lee wrote:
2
3 > >> But you already heard of udev rules? I guess I mentioned them
4 > >> already. They are not so hard to write and they only need to be
5 > >> written once.
6 > >
7 > > It's too late by then, if eth0 and eth1 already exist, you cannot
8 > > switch them with udev rules - as anyone who had worked with dual NICs
9 > > would have discovered.
10 >
11 > Can you switch them when they have unrecognisable names?
12
13 You can't switch any two names because the udev rules are run singly, so
14 at one point you will be trying to rename an interface with a name that
15 is already in use.
16
17 This has nothing to do with how easily you are able to grok the name
18 scheme and everything to do with consistency. Unfortunately, there are
19 still situations, especially with USB NICs, where this can fail, but for
20 PCI NICs you are guaranteed that the names will always stay the same and
21 you are not suddenly in the position of the two sides of your firewall
22 switching places.
23
24 But of you don't like it,, just do what the elog message tells you and it
25 won't be a problem, it's a default setting not an enforced behaviour.
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 "There are some ideas so idiotic that only an intellectual could believe
32 them" George Orwell