From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Interpret characters in /etc/inputrc
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 20:38:04
1 Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> writes:
2
3 > On 1/29/06, reader@×××××××.com <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> The help documentation for /etc/inputrc is found in`man 3 readline'
5 >> under section INITIALIZATION FILE and is quite extensive. However I
6 >> don't see any info regarding how to interpret the characters used in
7 >> /etc/inputrc.
8 >>
9 >> Things like:
10 >> # for linux console and RH/Debian xterm
11 >> "\e[1~": beginning-of-line
12 >> "\e[4~": end-of-line
13 >> #"\e[5~": beginning-of-history
14 >> #"\e[6~": end-of-history
15 >> "\e[5~": history-search-backward
16 >> "\e[6~": history-search-forward
17 >> "\e[3~": delete-char
18 >> "\e[2~": quoted-insert
19 >>
20 >> I happen to know what some of those are from use but how can I tell
21 >> what characters are being referred to, that is, what does:
22 >> "\e[2~" mean in plain english?
23 >
24 > The \e is an escape. The other chars are exactly what you see.
25
26 Thats what I'm asking. "Exactly what you see" .. when you press what?
27 In other words how can I tell what [2~ or any of the others, are
28 without experimenting with C-v and testing different keys.
29
30 I think I've seen a chart somewhere that shows but can't think where.
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list