From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recovering kalarm data
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 20:37:33
1 On 6/24/06, Benno Schulenberg <benno.schulenberg@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
3 > > I just had to rebuild pretty much all of KDE. It went okay
4 > > except that all of my alarms from kalarm are gone. I had hoped
5 > > that they would be preserved like most configuration files.
6 > >
7 > > I have a recent backup. Is there any way to recover them from
8 > > there? I don't see the database offhand. It's not anything
9 > > obvious like a .kalarm file in my home dir.
10 >
11 > Recover ~/.kde/share/apps/kalarm/calendar.ics .
12 >
13 > Benno
14
15 Thanks, that helped. I found my calendar file had not even been disturbed.
16 But this means things are a bit stranger than they first appeared.
17
18 When I start kalarm, it does not show any items. If I add an item, it
19 shows, but nothing else. This is the situation that made me think I had
20 lost everything.
21
22 However, I continue to get on-screen alerts according to the original
23 calendar. In spite of the fact that I logged off to rebuild KDE (logged in
24 again under fluxbox to do it), and have now re-logged into KDE.
25
26 So: my file !/.kde/share/apps/kalarm/calendar.ics is actually the old one.
27 Why is a new instance of kalarm not seeing it? What exactly is running
28 in the background to give me the old alarms? How do I get them to
29 talk to each other again?
30
31 Color me amazed.
32