From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: synchronizing 2 portables
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:56:12
1 Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
4 > I'd go with Unison, it's ideal for this sort of thing.
5 OK
6
7 > > AS far as keeping the installed packages /ebuilds/ concurrent,
8 > > in some sort of semi-automated method, I'd settle for a script
9 > > I could run that would check the installed packages, on both
10 > > portablesand give a list of packages on the one that are not
11 > > ont he second machine. Kind of like a 'diff for ebuilds' that
12 > > would list the missing packages on the second portable.
13
14 > Is the first portable always updated first? If so, I'd add buildpkg to
15 > FEATURES in /etc/make.conf and make PKGDIR a directory accessible to
16 > both, possibly via NFS. Then, provided your USE and CFLAGS are the same
17 > (running the same make.conf on both would be easiest) to can synchronise
18 > the second box with the first by copying over /var/lib/portage/world and
19 > doing "emerge -uavDNk world".
22 Well, OK. But if I want to try this method manually first, then I'd:
23 1. scp the var/lib/portage/world to the second system.
24 2. ensure the make.conf USE setting are identical (they are)
25 3. "emerge -uavD world"
26 4. No need for the PKGDIR is I duplicate packages on both systems?
27
28 ???
29
30 If this works resonable well, then I'll write a script to
31 use scp to routinely transfer over the world file. That way
32 I can do updates and testing on one (master) portable only.
33 I do not want to use NFS, and duplicating the
34 packages is preferable, as their is a good chance the
35 excessive vibration from industrial environments is going to
36 kill a portable, eventually. At that point I want the second
37 portable ready to go as it becomes the primary portable,
38 giving me time to purchase and installed a secondary backup
39 portable, minimizing panic. These machines are absolutely
40 critical for supporting clients, particulary in remote harsh
41 locations where no internet exist.
42
43 James
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list