From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: synchronizing 2 portables
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 18:51:13
1 On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:37:39 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
2
3 > > Is the first portable always updated first? If so, I'd add buildpkg to
4 > > FEATURES in /etc/make.conf and make PKGDIR a directory accessible to
5 > > both, possibly via NFS. Then, provided your USE and CFLAGS are the
6 > > same (running the same make.conf on both would be easiest) to can
7 > > synchronise the second box with the first by copying
8 > > over /var/lib/portage/world and doing "emerge -uavDNk world".
9
10 > Well, OK. But if I want to try this method manually first, then I'd:
11 > 1. scp the var/lib/portage/world to the second system.
12 > 2. ensure the make.conf USE setting are identical (they are)
13 > 3. "emerge -uavD world"
14 > 4. No need for the PKGDIR is I duplicate packages on both systems?
15
16 Unless you use buildpkg and a shared PKGDIR, you'll have to compile every
17 package twice. My suggestion means that installing on the first machine
18 also builds a binary package for the second, so you can get that updated
19 as quickly as possible.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 Look! Velveeta sticks to the ceiling!