From: wireless@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What happened to Qt 5?
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 16:47:19
On 05/27/14 00:40, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> Wasn't it supposed to hit portage a long time ago? Any news? There's > zero information on the http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/qt site.
I run lxde on one desktop; and my experimental results are nothing short of fabulous. A while back they (LXDE and razor-qt projects) decided to merge and support QT5. [1] If you have a spare desktop, you might want to experiment with QT5 via LXDE-QT [2]. I have not inquired when "LXDE-QT" known also as LXQT will formerly appear in portage; I can't remember where I read rumblings about it. I have just now looked for an overlay [3]. I do like the new (old_school?) approach of LXde and it's resource footprint is very, very small. qt is a fine piece of work; I have issues with the KDE "vision" and LXQT seems to be reading my mind on what a gui environment should and should not do, imho. Lightweight X means it could and should run in many places, easily and securely, like in a VM environment, tablets, etc etc. hth, James [1] http://wiki.lxde.org/en/Migrate_from_GTK%2B_to_Qt [2] http://wiki.lxde.org/en/Build_LXDE-Qt_From_Source [3] https://github.com/mika-k/lxqt-overlay