From: john <jdm@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What happened to Qt 5?
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 07:57:34
1 On Tue, 27 May 2014 12:47:07 -0500
2 wireless@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3
4 > On 05/27/14 00:40, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
5 > > Wasn't it supposed to hit portage a long time ago? Any news? There's
6 > > zero information on the http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/qt
7 > > site.
10 > I run lxde on one desktop; and my experimental results are nothing
11 > short of fabulous. A while back they (LXDE and razor-qt projects)
12 > decided to merge and support QT5. [1] If you have a spare desktop,
13 > you might want to experiment with QT5 via LXDE-QT [2].
16 > I have not inquired when "LXDE-QT" known also as LXQT will formerly
17 > appear in portage; I can't remember where I read rumblings about it.
18 > I have just now looked for an overlay [3].
19 >
20 > I do like the new (old_school?) approach of LXde and it's resource
21 > footprint is very, very small. qt is a fine piece of work; I have
22 > issues with the KDE "vision" and LXQT seems to be reading my mind
23 > on what a gui environment should and should not do, imho.
24 >
25 > Lightweight X means it could and should run in many places, easily
26 > and securely, like in a VM environment, tablets, etc etc.
29 > hth,
30 > James
33 > [1] http://wiki.lxde.org/en/Migrate_from_GTK%2B_to_Qt
34 >
35 > [2] http://wiki.lxde.org/en/Build_LXDE-Qt_From_Source
36 >
37 > [3] https://github.com/mika-k/lxqt-overlay
40 lxqt is up and running in Gentoo. It's listed in packages.
41 The only problem I had was emerging lxqt-panel but just had to change a use flag of lxqt-panel from quicklauch to
42 -quicklaunch and it emerged. No problems with anything else and desktop
43 is good.
48 John D Maunder