From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] preventing keyboard layout files from being overritten during system upgrades
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2015 06:54:53
1 On Tuesday 08 Dec 2015 03:29:45 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 8:02 PM, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
3 wrote:
4 > > That's like telling your grandma, "you don't know what DNS is? this is
5 > > internet 101 - you use DNS all the time".
6 > >
7 > > I have not needed to add directories to CONFIG_PROTECT, or alter it in
8 > > any way, in over 10 years of using Gentoo.
9 >
10 > Fair enough, neither have I. I just meant that configruation
11 > protection itself is a fairly standard and well-used capability. I
12 > get that somebody might not recognize the name for it or the meaning
13 > of the environment variable.
14
15 Actually, I recall that pre-2003/04 we used to edit the list of protected
16 directories. I think that the reason at the time was that etc-update would
17 take too long to scan all of them, so the user was encourage to limit these
18 according to preference.
19
20 There may be some old threads lurking around the M/L archives on this topic.
21 --
22 Regards,
23 Mick