From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] preventing keyboard layout files from being overritten during system upgrades
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2015 03:30:02
1 On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 8:02 PM, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > That's like telling your grandma, "you don't know what DNS is? this is internet 101 - you use DNS all the time".
4 >
5 > I have not needed to add directories to CONFIG_PROTECT, or alter it in any way, in over 10 years of using Gentoo.
8 Fair enough, neither have I. I just meant that configruation
9 protection itself is a fairly standard and well-used capability. I
10 get that somebody might not recognize the name for it or the meaning
11 of the environment variable.
14 > Excuse me. I thought this was a standard thing, just as I have scripts in /usr/local/bin/ and a local Portage tree in /usr/local/portage/, I would have assumed that an application like X11 that looks in /usr/share/X11/ for its configuration files would then look in /usr/share/local/X11/ for any custom symbols or overrides.
15
16 No worries. That actually isn't "standard" at all. Most applications
17 completely ignore /usr/local, and arguably this should be their
18 behavior (the purpose of /usr/local is to install your own stuff, not
19 extent stuff in /usr).
20
21 The older convention is to stick stuff that is likely to be configured
22 in /etc. The newer convention is to stick default config files
23 somewhare in /usr and then allow them to be extended or overridden
24 using files in /etc (which is how other distros are solving the
25 problem that Gentoo solves with configuration protection).
26
27 In fact, portage ignores /usr/local/portage by default. You have to
28 set a variable or point a repository at it.
32 > I find a couple of approaches to local customisations which keep the files in the user's homedir.
35 Yeah, that is also a less-common approach. I guess it is more common
36 for desktop-y stuff.
37
38 > I believe strongly in that kind of separation between _system files that the user has customised_ and _original system files which will be updated and maintained by the package manager_. However it's not clear that it's so clean and tidy with X11, and I can certainly see there's a good argument for CONFIG_PROTECT.
39
40 Agree. And I don't disagree with the earlier solution to use a
41 configuration management solution. One of my projects for a really
42 dull weekend is to get around to Ansible-izing all my containers.
43 Granted, containers are really easy to snapshot and manage even
44 without this, but it is an excuse to learn Ansible anyway.
47 Rich