From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] preventing keyboard layout files from being overritten during system upgrades
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2015 01:03:14
1 > On Tue, 8 December 2015, at 12:29 a.m., Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >>
3 >> It seems just a tad exotic to me, as I haven't used or needed it in over 10 years.
4 >
5 > You never run etc-update or dispatch-conf? If you do, you're using
6 > it. You're just using its default configuration and not adding
7 > directories to it.
8
9 That's like telling your grandma, "you don't know what DNS is? this is internet 101 - you use DNS all the time".
10
11 I have not needed to add directories to CONFIG_PROTECT, or alter it in any way, in over 10 years of using Gentoo.
14 >> Am I not correct in thinking that a /usr/local/whatever directory would work as I described previously? [1]
15 >
16 > Only if you patch the program in question to read the file there.
17
18 Excuse me. I thought this was a standard thing, just as I have scripts in /usr/local/bin/ and a local Portage tree in /usr/local/portage/, I would have assumed that an application like X11 that looks in /usr/share/X11/ for its configuration files would then look in /usr/share/local/X11/ for any custom symbols or overrides.
19
20 I find a couple of approaches to local customisations which keep the files in the user's homedir.
21
22 https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/X_KeyBoard_extension#Local_XKB_folder
23 http://www.vinc17.org/unix/xkb.en.html
24
25 My instinct is to prefer keeping them there, because it should mean that the user can copy his homedir to a new system or distro (or have it propagated over NFS or by a roaming profile) and his customisation(s) will still work (or, at least, the user will have copies of the config files which they can more easily install).
26
27 I believe strongly in that kind of separation between _system files that the user has customised_ and _original system files which will be updated and maintained by the package manager_. However it's not clear that it's so clean and tidy with X11, and I can certainly see there's a good argument for CONFIG_PROTECT.
28
29 Stroller.