From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] preventing keyboard layout files from being overritten during system upgrades
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2015 00:29:08
1 On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 6:16 PM, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 >> On Mon, 7 December 2015, at 9:24 p.m., Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> It wasn't really targeted at anybody in particular. It just should be
6 >> clear in the documentation since config protection and merging config
7 >> changes is a big part of administering a Gentoo system. It probably
8 >> should be in the handbook, and it looks like it was at some time in
9 >> the past.
10 >>
11 >> Config protection isn't some exotic feature that few use (like
12 >> crossdev, prefix, hardened, or glentoo). It is pretty central to the
13 >> whole design of portage, and I believe all the other package managers
14 >> implement it as well in some form.
15 >
16 > It seems just a tad exotic to me, as I haven't used or needed it in over 10 years.
19 You never run etc-update or dispatch-conf? If you do, you're using
20 it. You're just using its default configuration and not adding
21 directories to it.
22
23 > Am I not correct in thinking that a /usr/local/whatever directory would work as I described previously? [1]
26 Only if you patch the program in question to read the file there. And
27 if you're going to go to all that trouble you should really patch it
28 to allow the file to be overridden in /etc which is the more current
29 tradition. And if you're going to do that you might as well just
30 patch the program to install the file the way you want it in the first
31 place.
35 Rich