From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] preventing keyboard layout files from being overritten during system upgrades
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2015 23:16:43
1 > On Mon, 7 December 2015, at 9:24 p.m., Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > It wasn't really targeted at anybody in particular. It just should be
4 > clear in the documentation since config protection and merging config
5 > changes is a big part of administering a Gentoo system. It probably
6 > should be in the handbook, and it looks like it was at some time in
7 > the past.
8 >
9 > Config protection isn't some exotic feature that few use (like
10 > crossdev, prefix, hardened, or glentoo). It is pretty central to the
11 > whole design of portage, and I believe all the other package managers
12 > implement it as well in some form.
13
14 It seems just a tad exotic to me, as I haven't used or needed it in over 10 years.
15
16 Am I not correct in thinking that a /usr/local/whatever directory would work as I described previously? [1]
17
18 >> I've been using Gentoo for over a decade - since before you were a developer, at least.
19 >
20 > Glad to hear I'm not the only one who ran it in the Pentium3 over a
21 > modem days who is still around. :)
22
23 I still have a Pentium 3 running here. Embarrassingly, it hasn't been updated since the hard drive was in a Pentium 2.
24
25 $ cat /etc/*rele*
26 Gentoo Base System version 1.4.16
27 $