From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MySql versus sqlite. Don't want sqlite anymore.
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 23:00:10
1 On Wednesday 18 November 2009 00:22:08 Dale wrote:
2 > > Some stuff uses sqlite for storage. If it works, leave it alone. Just
4 > > with it doesn;t mean all of KDE has issues with it
9 > So basically I have to have it anyway? It's just one more thing to
10 > update is why I want to gt rid of it.
11
12 You have better things to worry about, trust me :-)
13
14 Like, why do you have to have redland and lucene around when a) redland sucks
15 b) lucene sucks much less despite being java?
16
17 Or XML parsers... why do you invariably have libxml and expat at the same
18 time?
19
20 For that matter, I'll bet you have 3 SLOTTED versions of db in addition to
21 gdbm (all in addition to sqlite of course)
22
23 Lets not even start with the scripting languages ... I often hear newbies
24 complain about having bash, python, perl and ruby all at the same time. Can't
25 the devs just stick to one language?
26
27 See where I'm going with this? At <10M for two versions of sqlite, it's not
28 worth worrying about and you don't have to pay any attention to updating it -
29 portage and --depclean will sort you out just fine
32 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com