From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MySql versus sqlite. Don't want sqlite anymore.
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 23:41:51
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 18 November 2009 00:22:08 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Some stuff uses sqlite for storage. If it works, leave it alone. Just
6 >>> with it doesn;t mean all of KDE has issues with it
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >> So basically I have to have it anyway? It's just one more thing to
12 >> update is why I want to gt rid of it.
15 > You have better things to worry about, trust me :-)
16 >
17 > Like, why do you have to have redland and lucene around when a) redland sucks
18 > b) lucene sucks much less despite being java?
19 >
20 > Or XML parsers... why do you invariably have libxml and expat at the same
21 > time?
22 >
23 > For that matter, I'll bet you have 3 SLOTTED versions of db in addition to
24 > gdbm (all in addition to sqlite of course)
25 >
26 > Lets not even start with the scripting languages ... I often hear newbies
27 > complain about having bash, python, perl and ruby all at the same time. Can't
28 > the devs just stick to one language?
29 >
30 > See where I'm going with this? At <10M for two versions of sqlite, it's not
31 > worth worrying about and you don't have to pay any attention to updating it -
32 > portage and --depclean will sort you out just fine
36 Well that stirred up my curiosity. Here is my USE line:
37
38 root@smoker / # emerge --info | grep USE
39 USE="3dnow X aac acl acpi alsa amd automount berkdb bzip2 cairo cddb cdr
40 chroot cli consolekit cracklib cups curl dbus dri dvd dvdr dvdread
41 emboss encode esd evo exif fam fdftk flac fortran gdbm gif gimp gkrellm
42 gphoto2 gpm gstreamer gtk hal hbci htmlhandbook iconv ipv6 java
43 javascript jbig jpeg jpeg2k justify kde ldap libnotify libwww logrotate
44 loop-aes mad mikmod mmx mng modules mp3 mp4 mpeg mplayer mudflap mysql
45 ncurses nptl nptlonly nsplugin offensive ofx ogg opengl openmp pam
46 parport pcre pdf perl png ppds pppd python qt3 qt3support qt4 quicktime
47 readline realmedia reflection sdl seamonkey session spell spl sse ssl
48 startup-notification svg sysfs syslog tcl tcpd thunar tiff tk truetype
49 unicode usb vorbis webkit win32codecs wma wmf wmp x264 x86 xml xorg xv
50 xvid yahoo zeroconf zlib" ALSA_CARDS="emu10k1" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm
51 alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug
52 ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route
53 share shm softvol" CAMERAS="canon ptp2" ELIBC="glibc"
54 INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev" KERNEL="linux" LINGUAS="en_US en"
55 SANE_BACKENDS="hp" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia nv"
56 root@smoker / #
57
58 Should I be turning some of those off as they are not needed? This is
59 my oldest install so I bet some are not even needed or can be done away
60 with. I most likely had a good reason for turning them on way back when
61 but may not have a good reason now.
62
63 Dale
64