From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MySql versus sqlite. Don't want sqlite anymore.
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 03:18:47
1 On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 17:41 -0600, Dale wrote:
2 > Should I be turning some of those off as they are not needed? This
3 > is
4 > my oldest install so I bet some are not even needed or can be done
5 > away
6 > with. I most likely had a good reason for turning them on way back
7 > when
8 > but may not have a good reason now.
9 >
10 > Dale
11
12 I think you go down the wrong path when you ask someone else what USE
13 flags *you* need. We don't know you and your requirements/preferences
14 enough to know what is needed for you. It's like going up to a random
15 person and asking them if you should have your kitchen repainted and if
16 so what color. That rarely happens but for kitchens but confusingly
17 enough it's frequent for USE flags.
18
19 Also, "emerge --info |grep USE" isn't very USEful (IMO) because it only
20 shows what USE flags you have turned on, not the ones you have turned
21 off.