From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MySql versus sqlite. Don't want sqlite anymore.
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 05:50:42
1 Albert Hopkins wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 17:41 -0600, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Should I be turning some of those off as they are not needed? This
5 >> is
6 >> my oldest install so I bet some are not even needed or can be done
7 >> away
8 >> with. I most likely had a good reason for turning them on way back
9 >> when
10 >> but may not have a good reason now.
11 >>
12 >> Dale
15 > I think you go down the wrong path when you ask someone else what USE
16 > flags *you* need. We don't know you and your requirements/preferences
17 > enough to know what is needed for you. It's like going up to a random
18 > person and asking them if you should have your kitchen repainted and if
19 > so what color. That rarely happens but for kitchens but confusingly
20 > enough it's frequent for USE flags.
21 >
22 > Also, "emerge --info |grep USE" isn't very USEful (IMO) because it only
23 > shows what USE flags you have turned on, not the ones you have turned
24 > off.
28 I was thinking that someone may see some USE flags that are no longer
29 needed in most cases. Some may not even be still in use as far as
30 portage is concerned. In other words, portage doesn't even recognize
31 them as a option. Basically, I do some picture stuff, surf with
32 Seamonkey, Firefox and sometimes Konqueror, sometimes get on chat with
33 Kopete, play Solitaire, watch a video on youtube sometimes. Oh, I print
34 stuff with my HP printer and download pics from my Canon camera.
35
36 I never noticed that emerge --info doesn't show the USE flags I
37 removed. That is sort of weird. I was thinking that it showed the USE
38 flags with not only the profile but what I have set in make.conf which
39 would include the ones turned on and turned off. Neat info.
40
41 Dale
42