From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MySql versus sqlite. Don't want sqlite anymore.
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 07:11:58
1 On Wednesday 18 November 2009 07:49:40 Dale wrote:
2 > Albert Hopkins wrote:
3 > > On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 17:41 -0600, Dale wrote:
4 > >> Should I be turning some of those off as they are not needed? This
5 > >> is
6 > >> my oldest install so I bet some are not even needed or can be done
7 > >> away
8 > >> with. I most likely had a good reason for turning them on way back
9 > >> when
10 > >> but may not have a good reason now.
11 > >>
12 > >> Dale
13 > >
14 > > I think you go down the wrong path when you ask someone else what USE
15 > > flags *you* need. We don't know you and your requirements/preferences
16 > > enough to know what is needed for you. It's like going up to a random
17 > > person and asking them if you should have your kitchen repainted and if
18 > > so what color. That rarely happens but for kitchens but confusingly
19 > > enough it's frequent for USE flags.
20 > >
21 > > Also, "emerge --info |grep USE" isn't very USEful (IMO) because it only
22 > > shows what USE flags you have turned on, not the ones you have turned
23 > > off.
24 >
25 > I was thinking that someone may see some USE flags that are no longer
26 > needed in most cases. Some may not even be still in use as far as
27 > portage is concerned. In other words, portage doesn't even recognize
28 > them as a option. Basically, I do some picture stuff, surf with
29 > Seamonkey, Firefox and sometimes Konqueror, sometimes get on chat with
30 > Kopete, play Solitaire, watch a video on youtube sometimes. Oh, I print
31 > stuff with my HP printer and download pics from my Canon camera.
32 >
33 > I never noticed that emerge --info doesn't show the USE flags I
34 > removed. That is sort of weird. I was thinking that it showed the USE
35 > flags with not only the profile but what I have set in make.conf which
36 > would include the ones turned on and turned off. Neat info.
37
38 eix comes with some useful utilities like eix-test-obsolete which scans all
39 your portage files and tells you which settings are redundant, duplicated and
40 so on.
41
42 It takes a while to parse all of it, but a useful exercise nonetheless
46 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com