From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: can one tell me: gentoo vs opensuse
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 14:40:04
1 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > One point no one has mentioned and I've wondered from time to time
3 > myself is whether one can expect gentoo to continue into the future
4 > for a long while, as compared to the likely hood of opensuse or maybe
5 > debian that has been around a very long time.
6 >
7 > It seemed at one time a year or so ago that gentoo's longevity was
8 > questionable. (Possibly my own mis-perception)
9 >
10 > For the OP, a few posters have mentioned that under gentoo, every
11 > thing is compiled from scratch, but it was not made clear that it
12 > happens again and again at most updates.
13 >
14 > No one has made clear that there is a very HUGE amount of time sunk
15 > into compiling absolutely everything.
16 >
17 > A single update, if one lets updating slip a bit, can literally take
18 > days to compile. And more days to reconfigure so that everything works
19 > again.
22 People have been claiming Gentoo is dying for years. I seriously doubt
23 that is going to happen anytime soon.
24
25 I did sort of mention the compile times. Thing is, we don't know what
26 sort of rig the OP has. If he has a really old rig, that could result
27 is some long compile times. If it is a recently bought/built rig, then
28 it may be fast enough to not matter.
29
30 It seems no matter how much info a post has, there is always something
31 missing. :/ I'm just glad I buy my tea loose. I can read the tea
32 leaves easier. O_O
33
34 Dale
35
39 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!