From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: can one tell me: gentoo vs opensuse
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 13:47:41
1 One point no one has mentioned and I've wondered from time to time
2 myself is whether one can expect gentoo to continue into the future
3 for a long while, as compared to the likely hood of opensuse or maybe
4 debian that has been around a very long time.
5
6 It seemed at one time a year or so ago that gentoo's longevity was
7 questionable. (Possibly my own mis-perception)
8
9 For the OP, a few posters have mentioned that under gentoo, every
10 thing is compiled from scratch, but it was not made clear that it
11 happens again and again at most updates.
12
13 No one has made clear that there is a very HUGE amount of time sunk
14 into compiling absolutely everything.
15
16 A single update, if one lets updating slip a bit, can literally take
17 days to compile. And more days to reconfigure so that everything works
18 again.