From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] advice on transitioning from package.use file to package.use directory
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 20:06:21
1 On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 22:33:58 +0300, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
2
3 > cat rubygems
4 > >=dev-ruby/rubygems-2.2.5-r1 ruby_targets_ruby21
5 > >=virtual/rubygems-10 ruby_targets_ruby21
6 >
7 > Is this format acceptable? Or should I have used two separate files,
8 > one for 'dev-lang/rubygems', and another for 'virtual/rubygems'?
9
10 Use whatever suits you, portage doesn't care whether you use one file for
11 everything or one file for each setting.
12
13 My preference is to create a file for each program I use, and put the
14 settings for dependent packages in there, that way I know what they
15 relate to. It also means that if I remove the package, I can remove the
16 file too. This to my mind is the key advantage of the separate file
17 approach, a single file is too unwieldy without extensive comments, and I
18 am too lazy to add useful comments.
19
20 But it's up to you, do whatever works for your way of thinking - it's all
21 the same to portage.
22
23 One thing to be aware of is that portage adds "auto-unmask" entries to the
24 "last" file in package.use, so I always create a zzz-auto-unmask file
25 then transfer entries from there to the appropriate location.
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 *Libra*: /(Sept 23--Oct 23)/ An unfortunate typo on your application
32 results in your being accepted into the Legion Of Superherpes.