From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] advice on transitioning from package.use file to package.use directory
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2015 15:13:58
1 On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 11:06 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 22:33:58 +0300, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
3 >
4 >> cat rubygems
5 >> >=dev-ruby/rubygems-2.2.5-r1 ruby_targets_ruby21
6 >> >=virtual/rubygems-10 ruby_targets_ruby21
7 >>
8 >> Is this format acceptable? Or should I have used two separate files,
9 >> one for 'dev-lang/rubygems', and another for 'virtual/rubygems'?
10 >
11 > Use whatever suits you, portage doesn't care whether you use one file for
12 > everything or one file for each setting.
13 >
14 > My preference is to create a file for each program I use, and put the
15 > settings for dependent packages in there, that way I know what they
16 > relate to. It also means that if I remove the package, I can remove the
17 > file too. This to my mind is the key advantage of the separate file
18 > approach, a single file is too unwieldy without extensive comments, and I
19 > am too lazy to add useful comments.
20 >
21 > But it's up to you, do whatever works for your way of thinking - it's all
22 > the same to portage.
23 >
24 > One thing to be aware of is that portage adds "auto-unmask" entries to the
25 > "last" file in package.use, so I always create a zzz-auto-unmask file
26 > then transfer entries from there to the appropriate location.
29 > --
30 > Neil Bothwick
33 Understood. Thanks.