From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: DTV on Laptop
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 23:10:25
1 On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 21:25 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2007-12-12, Anthony E. Caudel <tony.caudel@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >
4 > >>> There seem to be several devices, based on USB2 that connect
5 > >>> to a computer and can receive ATSC (HDTV) or traditional
6 > >>> broadcasts. The ones I've found for N. America all require
7 > >>> Vista (uck).
8 > >>
9 > >> I've used a Freecom USB DVB stick with Gentoo, it worked well
10 > >> but I didn't try it with HDTV (because we don't have that
11 > >> here).
12 > >
13 > > What is the quality of the picture with the Freecom?
14 >
15 > That question doesn't really make any sense. It's like asking
16 > what the quality of the sound is with an Ethernet card.
17
18 what you really want to know is how fast does it tune, does it do
19 hardware mpeg encoding, does the linux driver support signal strength
20 etc. The quality of the UI is a question for windows users, as you
21 usually use what they provide, but with linux you use what you want :)
22
23 cya,
27 I don't deserve this award, but I have arthritis and I don't deserve that
28 either.
29 -- Jack Benny
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list