From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Met a brick wall migrating to Modular X
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 17:36:12
1 On Saturday 16 September 2006 18:04, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2 > On 9/16/06, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On Saturday 16 September 2006 17:36, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
4 > > > I'm trying to follow the HOWTO, but I've got a problem with ATI.
5 > > > I put 'ati' in VIDEO_CARDS in /etc/make.conf, but it was not picked
6 > > > up in the actual emerge, and now the driver does not exist, as
7 > > > reported by startx.
8 > >
9 > > Try VIDEO_CARDS="radeon"
10 >
11 > Can't try it for the next hour or so, but I have my doubts anyway.
12 > /etc/X11/xorg.conf has, in part
13 >
14 > Section "Device"
15 > Identifier "ati-internal"
16 > Driver "ati"
17 > EndSection
18 >
19 > Section "Screen"
20 > Identifier "Screen1"
21 > Device "ati-internal"
22 > Monitor "Westinghouse"
23 > ...
24 >
25 > And that's the only Device section. Accordingly, I expect startx is going
26 > to continue to expect a driver named "ati". Which is good, because that's
27 > the kind of video I have on my motherboard.
28
29 The xorg-x11 requires radeon_drv.so, which will only be built if you somehow
30 tell it to do so. Thereafter you may want the kernel ATI modules (select
31 them when you build your kernel) or the fglrx module in which case run emerge
32 ati-drivers. That's how I understand it to be; not sure if things have
33 changed since I set up one of my boxen.
34
35 HTH.
36 --
37 Regards,