From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Met a brick wall migrating to Modular X
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 17:09:40
1 On 9/16/06, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Saturday 16 September 2006 17:36, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
3 > > I'm trying to follow the HOWTO, but I've got a problem with ATI.
4 > > I put 'ati' in VIDEO_CARDS in /etc/make.conf, but it was not picked
5 > > up in the actual emerge, and now the driver does not exist, as
6 > > reported by startx.
7 >
8 > Try VIDEO_CARDS="radeon"
9
10 Can't try it for the next hour or so, but I have my doubts anyway.
11 /etc/X11/xorg.conf has, in part
12
13 Section "Device"
14 Identifier "ati-internal"
15 Driver "ati"
16 EndSection
17
18 Section "Screen"
19 Identifier "Screen1"
20 Device "ati-internal"
21 Monitor "Westinghouse"
22 ...
23
24 And that's the only Device section. Accordingly, I expect startx is going
25 to continue to expect a driver named "ati". Which is good, because that's
26 the kind of video I have on my motherboard.
27
28 ++ kevin
32 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
33 --