From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems booting my server - ext2 - e2fsck
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 16:03:05
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > > On Sunday 25 July 2010 06:57:43 KH wrote:
5 > >
6 > >>> You said you ran e2fsck and it was OK. What was the command?
7 > >>>
8 > >>>
9 > >>>
10 > >>> Normally with an e2fsck on a journalled fs, the app will replay the
11 > >>> journal and make a few minor checks. This takes about 4 seconds, not
12 > >>> the 40 minutes it takes to do a ful ext2 check.
13 > >>>
14 > >>>
15 > >>>
16 > >>> I think you might need to fsck without the journal. I know there's a way
17 > >>> to do this but a cursory glance at the man page didn't reveal it. Maybe
18 > >>> an ext user will chip in with the correct method
19 > >>>
20 > >>>
21 > >>>
22 > >>>
23 > >>>
24 > >> Hi,
25 > >>
26 > >> I ran on the two partitions e2fsck /dev/sde3 as well as fsck.ext3
27 > >> /dev/sde3 . Yes, it only took some seconds.
28 > >>
29 > > It's been a long time since I used ext3 so some of this might be wrong.
30 > >
31 > > An fsck that takes a few seconds is using the journal, which might not uncover
32 > > deeper corruption. You should try disabling the journal (I couldn't find the
33 > > way to do that though), but this will also work:
34 > >
35 > > Boot of a LiveCD, mount your root partition somewhere using type "ext2" and
36 > > fsck it. This will invalidate the journal but that's OK, it gets recreated on
37 > > the next proper boot. Let the fsck finish - it will take a while on a large
38 > > fs.
39 > >
40 > > When done, reboot as normal and see if the machine boots up properly.
45 > And I would stand guard to make sure housekeeping doesn't come around.
46 > ;-) Cutting power during all this wold not be good.
47
48 You don't need to invalidate the journal or mount ext2, just use -f if
49 memory serves, be sure the partition is unmounted and that will force a
50 full check.
53 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
54 How do
55 you spend it?
56
57 John Covici