From: Grand Duet <grand.duet@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Something went wrong with DNS, plz help!
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 16:35:39
1 2014-07-26 19:13 GMT+03:00 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>:
2 > On Saturday 26 Jul 2014 16:23:20 Grand Duet wrote:
3 >> The first reboot after recent update of the system have
4 >> shown that I cannot open any webpage in Firefox.
5 >>
6 >> More exactly, Firefox or my system cannot any more resolve
7 >> URL to IP address (sorry if I use wrong terms).
8 >>
9 >> Thus,
10 >> host gmail.com
11 >> gives:
12 >> ;; connection timed out no servers could be reached
13 >
14 > OK, what does 'cat /etc/resolve.conf' shows?
15
16 # Generated by f***ing net-scripts for interface lo
17 domain mynetwork
18
19 > It seems that you do not have a nameserver set up in your system?
20
21 I have everything in /etc/conf.d/net:
22 dns_servers_...="... ... 8.8.8.8"
23 but currently nothing in /etc/resolv.conf
24
25 >> Nevertheless
26 >> dig @8.8.8.8 gmail.com
27 >> reports the corresponding IP adresses.
28 >
29 > I'm guessing that 'dig gmail.com' doesn't come up with an answer?
30
31 You are right. :)
32
33 >> I have not changed any my network settings and my
34 >> /etc/conf.d/net file still contains list of my DNS servers
35 >> that contains server 8.8.8.8 as well but somehow it is
36 >> not enough any more. :(
37 >
38 > Do you then define the nameservers statically?
39
40 I think, yes.
41
42 > Do you use dhcpcd, or something else?
43
44 I assign IP for my Gentoo computer statically in /etc/conf.d/net:
45 config_...="my.local.IP netmask ..."
46 routes_...="default via my.local.router.IP"
47 but I have not changed all this since last reboot when everything worked ok.