From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ncurses: reductio ad absurdum
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 23:16:11
1 Am Fri, 28 Aug 2015 11:23:26 -0500
2 schrieb Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
3
4 > Emanuele Rusconi wrote:
5 > > For anybody who thinks git is hard, I'll just leave here my own
6 > > thoughts on the matter.
7 > >
8 > > As a user - not specifically a Gentoo user - I only need to know 3 commands:
9 > >
10 > > - git clone <URI>
11 > > - git pull
12 > > - tig
13 > >
14 > > That's it. Tig is in dev-vcs/tig, BTW, and it's really handy.
15 > >
16 > > When I experimented with managing my config files with git I did a lot
17 > > of reading (I was new to VCS in general), and in the end I realized
18 > > that, although git is really powerful and complex, for my needs I
19 > > actually really needed to know just a handful of basic commands, and I
20 > > could use tig and/or gitk for almost anything.
21 > >
22 > > -- Emanuele Rusconi
26 > Pardon me. I just had to get up off the floor and return my tummy to
27 > its previous and correct condition. I thought I would check out the git
28 > man page and just sorta skim over it. The first thing I see is this:
29 >
30 > NAME
31 >
32 > git - the stupid content tracker
33 >
34 > Now that is funny. ROFL Maybe there is hope for me yet. LOL
35 >
36 > Dale
37 >
38 > :-) :-)
39
40 My favorite bit is a quote from Linus Torvalds himself: "I'm an egotistical
41 bastard, and I name all my projects after myself. First 'Linux', now
42 'Git'." [0]. (For anyone like me who doesn't get it at first, see [1].)
43
44 [0] https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Git_FAQ#Why_the_.27Git.27_name.3F
45 [1] https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/git#English
46 --
47 Marc Joliet
48 --
49 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
50 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup