From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suggestions for NAS appliance?
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 05:35:29
1 On 13/11/21 5:56 am, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 11:06 PM Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Not a recommendation precisely but there's a guy on YouTube named Jeff Geerling that's doing a lot of that sort of thing using a Raspberry Pi and multiple SATA drives. I've just built my first RP4 box aimed at astrophotography and I'm pretty impressed with how well the Pi works. My next project will likely be some sort of NAS box using a second Pi4 with an M.2 system drive.
5 >>
6 > I run LizardFS and at this point Pi4s are my preferred hardware for
7 > storage nodes. However, I don't deal with much IOPS. I tend to use
8 > USB3 hard drives for convenience/cost. Really though SATA on a Pi4
9 > wouldn't be super-ideal anyway due to the lack of PCIe (I think it
10 > lacks it at least). You can find ARM SBCs that have PCIe capable of
11 > handling an HBA which are probably better if you want a bunch of SATA
12 > drives, though those have their downsides. If you're serious about
13 > IOPS I'm not sure anything cheap will do the trick.
14 Look at the odroid HC4 - I am using 5x the older HC2 version for moosefs
15 - they are USB3 based but work well in this application.  They are arm32
16 but 64bit is not needed.
17 > I would definitely avoid Pi2/3 for this due to the combo of 100MBps
18 > networking and USB2 and a lot of the IO goes through USB2 in the first
19 > place. It is just not a very good setup for IO at all, and there are
20 > much better alternatives. The Pi4 though is pretty solid as long as
21 > you don't mind USB3 (and it has two hosts so you can basically run 4
22 > spinning disks all-out without a performance hit until you get to the
23 > network at least).
24
25 I have a pi3B - bad idea to use this for any DFS - I tried...
26
27 I am using an Odroid C4 for directly connected USB3 disks - works well.
28
29 > Gigabit network is its own bottleneck for any kind of storage. I'm
30 > too cheap to try to use anything better, but anybody doing serious DFS
31 > is going to want 10Gbps, or often dual 10Gbps.