From: Quag7 <coldfront@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What is available besides samba
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 00:19:05
1 On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 18:29 -0500, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > "Michael Crute" <mcrute@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 > > On 8/11/06, reader@×××××××.com <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
5 > >> For easy fast comunication between winxp and linux machines, is there
6 > >> anything other than samba the works reliably.
7 > >
8 > > HTTP
9 > > FTP
10 > > DAV
11 > > Samba
12 > > SSH/SCP
13 > > (probably others too)
14 > >
15 > > Take your pick. Though as far as I know the only one Windows can
16 > > actually mount (as a drive) is Samba.
17 >
18 > Thanks, yes, of course their are those. I should have defined what I
19 > meant a bit better.
20 > Is there a tool out there that allows a windows user to access linux
21 > directories with an explorer like interface, or in some fairly
22 > seemless way so that linux machines show up in `network places' or
23 > something similar.
24 >
25 > Something like an nfs for windows I guess. I've seen that very thing
26 > but it was an ancient non-developed app.
29 There's something called CIFS in the kernel, but I haven't used it yet.
30 It is apparently based on SMB and extends it.
31
32 It may be worth a try.
33
34 Has anyone else used this?