From: Greg Bengeult <gregbengeult@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What is available besides samba
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 00:56:53
8 Quag7 wrote:
On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 18:29 -0500, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
"Michael Crute" <mcrute@×××××.com> writes:
On 8/11/06, reader@×××××××.com <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
For easy fast comunication between winxp and linux machines, is there
21 anything other than samba the works reliably.
HTTP
25 FTP
26 DAV
27 Samba
28 SSH/SCP
29 (probably others too)
30
31 Take your pick. Though as far as I know the only one Windows can
32 actually mount (as a drive) is Samba.
Thanks, yes, of course their are those.  I should have defined what I
36 meant a bit better.
37 Is there a tool out there that allows a windows user to access linux
38 directories with an explorer like interface, or in some fairly
39 seemless way so that linux machines show up in `network places' or
40 something similar.
41
42 Something like an nfs for windows I guess. I've seen that very thing
43 but it was an ancient non-developed app.
48 There's something called CIFS in the kernel, but I haven't used it yet.
49 It is apparently based on SMB and extends it.
50
51 It may be worth a try.
52
53 Has anyone else used this?
54
55 -C
59 Samba is CIFS is Samba.  CIFS has been around in various forms since
60 the early 90's.  The Samba team based much of their work on the
61 different CIFS implementations put out by Microsoft over the years.
62
63 GB
68 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list