From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Succinct compilation of system info...
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 11:03:20
1 quoth the michael@×××××××××××××.com:
2 > This seems to have tremendous potential. Having all this information in
3 > one standard form allows you to take snapshots of your system, and then
4 > if things break you can compare snapshots before and after to possibly
5 > get a hint of where to focus.
6
7 Yup. I was thinking it would be good for a weekly (or daily) cron report
8 delivered to your mailbox. Maybe an option to only send a diff from the
9 previous run...
10
11 > This will be especially true when you add
12 > the ability to list packages and software installed.
13
14 Which is done (for Gentoo, Arch, Fedora, RHEL, SuSe).
15
16 > It could also be useful when trying to help solve a problem, especially
17 > remotely.
18
19 Also, put it on your favorite live/rescue cd and have instant info on
20 unfamiliar systems...
21
22 > Why not set this up as a sourceforge project?
23
24 I am not sure that a project of this scope really needs full blown sourceforge
25 project page...a bug tracker, forums, and three pages just to download the
26 thing seem a bit extreme...I think I can host from my site, at least for now.
27
28 This isn't to say I don't appreciate testers and bug reports...
29
30 I am still plugging away, and will try to have a real, polished tarball
31 release with a man page etc up before the weekend is done.
32
33 > M
34
35 Thanks,
36 -d
37 --
38 darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
39 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
40 - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972