From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] USB Flash Drives automatic mounting breakage (Gnome)
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 12:56:57
1 Recently, I have had to reboot in order to recover the function of automatic
2 mounting of USB Flash drives, after some activity, such as mounting and
3 umounting. This is happening on two AMD64 systems.
4
5 I am often able to unmount manually (# umount /media/KINGSTON , for
6 example). All of my flash drives have labels, and usually they mount on
7 /media, when plugged in. However, not always, but often, when I have
8 unmounted one of them, the name stays visible on Nautilus, and it is
9 impossible to mount it again by plugging it in.
10
11 Another time, I reorganized the partitions on a flash drive, into one
12 partition. After this, I was unable to plug it in to mount it.
13
14 Uniformly, the expected behavior is recovered after rebooting.
15
16 I am using these drives to maintain git repositories of subdirectories, so I
17 need to be able to access various drives on demand, by pluggint them in. I
18 am not sure where to look for help. The USB guide, etc. didnt seem to
19 help. Is there an init script that I can restart to recover the volume
20 management function?
21
22 Thank you for any ideas.
23
24 Alan Davis
25 Avid user of Gentoo, knows enough to get into trouble.