From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB Flash Drives automatic mounting breakage (Gnome)
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 22:01:15
1 On Monday 04 January 2010 12:55:34 Alan E. Davis wrote:
2 > Recently, I have had to reboot in order to recover the function of
3 > automatic mounting of USB Flash drives, after some activity, such as
4 > mounting and umounting. This is happening on two AMD64 systems.
5 >
6 > I am often able to unmount manually (# umount /media/KINGSTON , for
7 > example). All of my flash drives have labels, and usually they mount on
8 > /media, when plugged in. However, not always, but often, when I have
9 > unmounted one of them, the name stays visible on Nautilus, and it is
10 > impossible to mount it again by plugging it in.
11 >
12 > Another time, I reorganized the partitions on a flash drive, into one
13 > partition. After this, I was unable to plug it in to mount it.
14 >
15 > Uniformly, the expected behavior is recovered after rebooting.
16 >
17 > I am using these drives to maintain git repositories of subdirectories, so
18 > I need to be able to access various drives on demand, by pluggint them in.
19 > I am not sure where to look for help. The USB guide, etc. didnt seem to
20 > help. Is there an init script that I can restart to recover the volume
21 > management function?
22 >
23 > Thank you for any ideas.
24
25 All I can say (I don't use Gnome and Nautilus to be more helpful with the
26 specifics) is that there is a difference between mounting a device via hal and
27 mounting it manually. I recall that you can't mix the two - when I tried it
28 on my machine (using Konqueror) it wouldn't work. I think hal complained, but
29 can't recall off hand.
30 --
31 Regards,
32 Mick