From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any big gotcha's when update from several (5) mnths
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 22:39:46
1 On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 17:03:34 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I agree with the other post about gcc but you should also update
5 >> portage shortly after that.  The newer portage is able to handle more
6 >> issues for you and may save you some time.  So, I would update gcc,
7 >> portage then give world a try.  If it looks bad, try system first.
8 >> That could correct some things.
9 >
10 > Update portage first, that way you are using the newest version when
11 > updating gcc and glibc.
12 >
13 > Personally, I'd trust portage to know better than me and do
14 >
15 > emerge -au @system
16 > emerge -auDN @world
17 >
18 > --
19 > Neil Bothwick
20
21 Not that I know anything about the OP's environment but on my KDE
22 desktop I've recently (last 6 months or so) found that
23
24 emerge -fDuN @system
25
26 won't work as it ends up with unresolvable conflicts. May just be the
27 way I've set up my flags.
28
29 I completely agree with the sentiment:
30
31 1) Update the system's view of portage
32 eix-sync
33
34 2) emerge portage
35