From: Francesco Turco <mail@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Desktop-no-multilib profile - possible?
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 10:22:59
1 On Wed, Feb 19, 2020, at 22:21, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
2 > I will never ever run 32bit software again and would really like to have
3 > a desktop-no-multilib profile, in sync with the regular desktop but simply
4 > without the multilib goop. My server is running precisely as I want with
5 > plain no-multilib, and I know I could just copy my USE flags over and
6 > maintain my own "self-made-desktop" settings, but that would mean I'd lose
7 > all the defaults and ongoing updates, which *are* kind of nice.
8
9 I think you should try creating a local custom combined profile.
10
11 For example I needed to create a systemd + no-multilib profile.
12 I called this custom profile "fturco" (my username, but of course you can choose any name).
13
14 I created the /var/db/repos/fturco/profiles/fturco/parent file with the following lines:
15
16 > ../../../gentoo/profiles/default/linux/amd64/17.1/systemd
17 > ../../../gentoo/profiles/default/linux/amd64/17.1/no-multilib
18
19 /var/db/repos/fturco is the directory with my local custom gentoo repository.
20 ../../../gentoo points to /var/db/repos/gentoo, which is the official gentoo repository.
21
22 I also needed to create the /var/dotfiles/db/repos/fturco/profiles/profiles.desc file with the following line:
23
24 > amd64 fturco stable
25
26 At this point you can set your profile with eselect profile, and then update the system with:
27
28 emerge -uDNav @world