From: "Holger Hoffstätte" <holger@××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Francesco Turco <mail@××××××.net>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Desktop-no-multilib profile - possible?
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 14:13:31
1 Hey Francesco -
2
3 On 2/20/20 11:22 AM, Francesco Turco wrote:
4 > On Wed, Feb 19, 2020, at 22:21, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
5 >> I will never ever run 32bit software again and would really like to have
6 >> a desktop-no-multilib profile, in sync with the regular desktop but simply
7 >> without the multilib goop. My server is running precisely as I want with
8 >> plain no-multilib, and I know I could just copy my USE flags over and
9 >> maintain my own "self-made-desktop" settings, but that would mean I'd lose
10 >> all the defaults and ongoing updates, which *are* kind of nice.
11 >
12 > I think you should try creating a local custom combined profile.
13 >
14 > For example I needed to create a systemd + no-multilib profile.
15 > I called this custom profile "fturco" (my username, but of course you can choose any name).
16 >
17 > I created the /var/db/repos/fturco/profiles/fturco/parent file with the following lines:
18 >
19 >> ../../../gentoo/profiles/default/linux/amd64/17.1/systemd
20 >> ../../../gentoo/profiles/default/linux/amd64/17.1/no-multilib
21 >
22 > /var/db/repos/fturco is the directory with my local custom gentoo repository.
23 > ../../../gentoo points to /var/db/repos/gentoo, which is the official gentoo repository.
24 >
25 > I also needed to create the /var/dotfiles/db/repos/fturco/profiles/profiles.desc file with the following line:
26 >
27 >> amd64 fturco stable
28 >
29 > At this point you can set your profile with eselect profile, and then update the system with:
30 >
31 > emerge -uDNav @world
32
33 I finally got around to trying this and just wanted to thank you for the detailed
34 instructions. Since I already had an overlay it was a breeze, and worked right away.
35 The only weird occurrence was a revdep-rebuild cycle thanks to go (of course !"§$% go)
36 keeping some glibc remnants in /lib alive with a cyclic dependency; this was easily
37 fixed by quickpkg/uninstall/reinstall.
38
39 No more 32bit! \o/
40
41 cheers,