From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RAID/LVM machine - install questions
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 17:34:56
1 On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 7:12 AM, KH <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >> Am 20.03.2010 19:26, schrieb Mark Knecht:
5 >> [...]
6 >>>
7 >>> So the chassis and drives for this 1st machine are on order. 6 1TB
8 >>> green drives. []
9 >>> - Mark
10 >>>
11 >>
12 >> Hi Mark,
13 >>
14 >> What do you mean by "green drives"? I had been told - but never searched for
15 >> confirmation - that those energy saving drives change spinning and also do
16 >> spin down. The problem would be that the drives than might drop out of the
17 >> raid since they are not reachable fast.
18 >>
19 >> Don't know if that is true. I bought me some black label drives for the
20 >> longer warranty.
21 >
22 > If it is a WD drive, google "TLER" for info about possible problems in RAID use.
25 Yeah, those issues do get discussed at times on the Linux RAID list.
26 I've asked questions about it and been told that Linux software RAID
27 depends totally on what the driver tells it and nothing seems to be
28 don (as best I can tell) based on any fixed time. That's more of a
29 hardware controller issue. I was told that if the drive by itself
30 doesn't fail at the system level when it's spinning up, then it won't
31 fail at the RAID level either. However what it does if it has a
32 hardware error is a bit beyond me at this point. My intention is to
33 try and get better with smartd so that the drive is continually
34 monitored and see if I can get ahead of a failure with that.