From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 17:42:38
1 On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 09:27:39 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > > Honestly, I tend not to create separate partitions for separate mount
4 > > points these days. At least, not on personal systems. For servers,
5 > > it's can be beneficial to have /var separate from /, or /var/log
6 > > separate from /var, or /var/spool, or /var/lib/mysql, or what have
7 > > you. But the biggest driver for that, IME, is if one of those fills
8 > > up, it can't take down the rest of the host.
9
10 > The other big use case these days would be SSDs. I tend to have one
11 > SSD filesystem for root, and one SSD filesystem for everything else.
12 > That means a lot of bind mounts, but it all works.
13
14 Bind mounts? I thought you would use btrfs subvolumes!
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.