From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 13:27:51
1 On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 8:51 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Honestly, I tend not to create separate partitions for separate mount points
4 > these days. At least, not on personal systems. For servers, it's can be
5 > beneficial to have /var separate from /, or /var/log separate from /var, or
6 > /var/spool, or /var/lib/mysql, or what have you. But the biggest driver for
7 > that, IME, is if one of those fills up, it can't take down the rest of the
8 > host.
11 The other big use case these days would be SSDs. I tend to have one
12 SSD filesystem for root, and one SSD filesystem for everything else.
13 That means a lot of bind mounts, but it all works. I'm not about to
14 get into separate filesystems for random directories in var that tend
15 to get big.
18 Rich