From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 12:51:36
1 On Thursday, September 01, 2016 12:09:09 PM gevisz wrote:
2 > 2016-09-01 11:54 GMT+03:00 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>:
3 > > On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 11:49:43 +0300, gevisz wrote:
4 > >> > If your filesystem becomes corrupt (and you are unable to
5 > >> > repair it), *all* of your data is lost (instead of just
6 > >> > one partition). That's the only disadvantage I can think
7 > >> > of.
8 > >>
9 > >> That is exactly what I am afraid of!
10 > >>
11 > >> So, the 20-years old rule of thumb is still valid. :(
12 > >>
13 > >> > I don't like partitions either (after some years, I
14 > >> > always found that sizes don't match my requirements any
15 > >> > more),
16 > >>
17 > >> And this is exactly the reason why I do not want to partition
18 > >> my new hard drive! :)
19 > >
20 > > Have you considered LVM? You get the benefits of separate filesystems
21 > > without the limitations of inflexible partitioning.
22 >
23 > I am afraid of LVM because of the same reason as described below:
24 >
25 > returning to the "old good times" of MS DOS 6.22, I do remember that working
26 > then on 40MB (yes, megabytes) hard drive I used some program that
27 > compressed all the data before saving them on that hard drive.
28 > Unfortunately, one day, because of the corruption, I lost all the data on
29 > that hard drive. Since then, I am very much afraid of compressed or
30 > encrypted hard drives.
31
32 LVM doesn't *need* to do any of that. It will only do as much as you tell it
33 to do. If you only want to use it as a way of reshaping relatively simple
34 partitions, you can use it for that.
35
36 Honestly, I tend not to create separate partitions for separate mount points
37 these days. At least, not on personal systems. For servers, it's can be
38 beneficial to have /var separate from /, or /var/log separate from /var, or
39 /var/spool, or /var/lib/mysql, or what have you. But the biggest driver for
40 that, IME, is if one of those fills up, it can't take down the rest of the
41 host.
42
43 In your case, I'd suggest using a single / filesystem. If it works, it works.
44 If it doesn't, you'll know in the future where you need to be more flexible;
45 there's no single panacea.
48 :wq